Some of what is written below is outdated.
The software used in class is pari and mwrank. Alternatively (and perhaps even better) you could use sage, which contains both pari and mwrank. To start the programs, type "sage", "gp" or "mwrank". If you want to use these programs from home or your own university, you basically have four options:
- Check if your university has them installed.
- Install them yourselve.
- Log into the computer system of the Vrije Universiteit using your account.
- Use online versions of the software.
Checking if your university has the software installed.
You can try to start the software on any linux machine by typing "sage", "pari" or "mwrank" in a terminal. If the software is not installed and you want to use it, perhaps you could convince your systems administrator.
Installing the software on your own personal computer.
All three programs are completely free. You can obtain them from their web pages:
- sage: http://www.sagemath.org/
Sage contains both pari and mwrank. Unfortunately, there is no good version for Windows yet.
- pari: http://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/
- mwrank: http://www.warwick.ac.uk/%7Emasgaj/mwrank/
I have heard that installing mwrank under Linux is a lot of work. A working copy for Windows can be downloaded here.