Home page of Marcel de Jeu
|E-mail address:||Remove "NOBOTSHALLUSETHIS" from mdejeuNOBOTSHALLUSETHIS@math.leidenuniv.nl
P.O. Box 9512
2300 RA Leiden
||Niels Bohrweg 1
2333 CA Leiden
|Office telephone number:
||+31 71 527 7118
|General telephone number:
||+31 71 527 7111
|General fax number:
||+31 71 527 7101
- Representation theory and abstract harmonic analysis, in particular in an ordered context
- Ordered vector spaces and algebras
- Banach algebras and operator algebras
- Special functions
- Approximation theory
Since 2001, I have always uploaded my papers, including a final version with the text as published in the journal, to the arXiv. The list in MathSciNet also contains my older papers, but it can be lagging by several years.
My ORCID iD is 0000-0002-7295-8969.
- Christian Svensson (2009, thesis)
- Marten Wortel (2012, thesis)
- Miek Messerschmidt (2013, thesis)
- Rui Xie (visiting PhD student from Harbin Institute of Technology, September 2013 - August 2014)
- Dusan Radicanin (ALGANT, joint with Bernhard Haak (Bordeaux), expected 2018)
- Xingni Jiang (expected 2018)
- Yang Deng (expected 2020)
- Mayke Straatman (joint with Onno van Gaans, expected 2021)
Long term visitors
- Gerard Buskes (University of Mississippi, April 2014)
- Ronalda Benjamin (University of Stellenbosch, September 2016 - May 2017)
- Jan Harm van der Walt (University of Pretoria, May - June 2017)
- Morteza Essmaili (Kharazmi University, Teheran, August - September 2017)
- Garth Dales (Lancaster University, Kloosterman Professor during October 2017)
- Zili Chen (Southwest Jiatong University, Changdu, January 2018)
Annals of Functional Analysis, Banach Journal of Mathematical Analysis, and Advances in Operator Theory
I am an editor of the Annals of Functional Analysis. Together with the Banach Journal of Mathematical Analysis these are two electronic journals on functional analysis and operator theory with a friendly attitude towards open access and subscriptions. Both are reviewed for MathSciNet. The related journal Advances in Operator Theory is even completely free. Especially if you are an established scholar you are invited to submit your papers and help these journals with their non-commercial orientation grow further.
Past and upcoming events
Summer School on Noncommutative Integration, Leiden, 9 - 13 June 2008.
Workshop Operator Structures and Dynamical Systems, Leiden, 21 - 25 July 2008 (satellite of 5 ECM). The proceedings appeared in 2009 in the Contemporary Mathematics series of the AMS.
- The SIGMA Special Issue on Dunkl Operators and Related Topics, for which I was one of the guest editors, was completed in June 2009.
- The Positivity VII conference was held from 22 - 26 July 2013 at the campus of Leiden Universityl, jointly organised by Leiden University and Delft University of Technology. I served as chairman on the organization committee of this Zaanen Centennial Conference, on the occasion of the 100th birthyear of Adriaan Cornelis Zaanen (1913 - 2003). Edited by Onno van Gaans, Ben de Pagter, Mark Veraar, and myself, the proceedings appeared with Birkhäuser in 2016.
- Tony Wickstead and I were the main organisers, together with Garth Dales, Sonja Mouton, and Ben de Pagter, of the Ordered Banach Algebra workshop at the Lorentz Center in Leiden, from 21 - 25 July 2014. Tony Wicksteade and I were also the editors of a special issue of Positivity on the subject that appeared in 2017. It also contains a list of open problems that was compiled by Tony Wickstead, and an obituary for Egor Alekhno, who was one of the participants. On the ocassion of the workshop, Tony Wickead, Sonja Mouton, and I compiled a Bibliography on Ordered Banach Algebras that we believed to be reasonably complete at the time.
Positivity VIII was held in Chengdu from 20 - 24 July 2015.
Positivity IX was held in Edmonton from 17 - 21 July, 2017.
- There will a workshop on Operator algebras and harmonic analysis at the Tsinghua Sanya International Mathematics Forum from 18 - 22 December 2017.
- There will be a BIRS workshop on recent advances on Banach lattices in Oaxaca, Mexico, from 29 April - 4 May 2018.
Positivity X will be held in Pretoria from 8-12 July 2019.
Positivity XI will be held in Ljubljana in 2021.
Functional analysis seminar
We have a series of yearly functional analysis seminars in the spring semester, for faculty, PhD-students, and MSc-students
- In the 2005 seminar we concentrated on spectral theory and operator algebras.
- The 2006 seminar was about Banach space theory.
- In the 2007 seminar the emphasis was on operator theory.
- In 2007 - 2008 we covered most of the book by Albiac and Kalton on Banach space theory.
- In 2008 - 2009 was devoted to Meyer-Nieberg's book on Banach lattices; the twin seminar in Delft was on noncommutative probability.
- In 2009 - 2010 the seminar was based on Kaniuth's "A course in commutative Banach algebras".
- In 2010 - 2011 we used Engel's and Nagel's "A short course on operator semigroups".
- In fall 2011 a joint Leiden/Delft seminar was dedicated to Choquet theory, based on Phelps' book.
- In spring 2012, Ryan's "Introduction to tensor products of Banach spaces" was used.
- In fall 2012, Miek Messerschmidt ran a seminar on "Cones and duality" by Aliprantis and Tourky.
- In spring 2013, Onno van Gaans ran a seminar on "An invitation to operator theory" by Abramovich and Aliprantis.
- In spring 2014, Onno van Gaans ran a seminar on the geometry of Banach spaces.
- In spring 2015, Onno van Gaans and I organised a seminar on concrete examples of Banach lattices and their (regular) operators.
- In spring 2016, Sander Hille, Onno van Gaans, and I organised a seminar on spaces of measures.
- In spring 2017, Onno van Gaans and I organised a seminar on partially ordered vector spaces and their operators.
- In spring 2018, Onno van Gaans and I organise a seminar on abstract harmonic analysis.
Teaching fall 2017
Linear analysis: introductory course on functional analysis. We use the second edition of Rynne and Youngson's "Linear functional analysis".
Teaching spring 2018
Johannes Schmidt-Hieber and I are the organisers of the bachelor seminar on Analysis, Stochastics, and Optimization.
Conrado Costa, Luca Avena en Frank den Hollander: