Mastermath Algebraic Geometry, Spring 2012
Lectures are on Tuesday from 14.15 to 17.00 in C1.112 at the Science Park of the UvA. See also the mastermath website.
There will be no lectures on 27 March and 1 May.
- 7 Feb
- 14 Feb
- 21 Feb
- 28 Feb
- 6 Mar
- 13 Mar
- 20 Mar
- 3 Apr
- 10 Apr
- 17 Apr
- 24 Apr
- 8 May
- 15 May
- 22 May
The course will follow the syllabus,
at the pace
of one lecture per week. For a description of the course, see the
The lectures are given by:
Robin de Jong and
The assistants are Maarten Derickx, Jinbi Jin and Weidong Zhuang.
Every week during the lecture some homework will be
assigned. This homework has to be handed in the next week before the
start of the lecture, either at the lecture room or by email to Jinbi Jin. While cooperation is encouraged when thinking
about the problems, we require students to write up and hand in the
homework individually. Copying from others is not cooperation and will
not be condoned.
You need to pass 7 or more homework sets to be admitted to the oral exam.
To obtain the corrected last homework set, please contact one of the assistants
after 29 May.
- HW1: 1.5.10. Deadline: 14 Feb
- HW2: 2.4.2. Deadline: 21 Feb
- HW3: 3.6: 8, 9, 11. Deadline: 28 Feb
- HW4: 4.5: 7, 8. Deadline: 6 Mar
- HW5: 5.6.5. Deadline: 13 Mar
- HW6: 6.4: 4, 9. Deadline: 21 Mar
- HW7: 7.5: 1, 2, 3. Deadline: 3 Apr (solution of 7.5.2)
- HW8: 8.6: 5 (you can assume that n(n-1) is invertible in k), 6. Deadline: 10 Apr
- HW9: 9.6.8. Deadline: 17 Apr (solution)
- HW10: 10.5: 5 (in part iv you may assume that k has characteristic 0), 6
- HW11: 11.4: 3, 4. Deadline: 8 May
- HW12: 12.3.3: Deadline: 15 May
- HW13: 13.3: 4, 5. Deadline: 22 May
During the problem sessions students are expected to work on the
exercises in the syllabus at the end of each lecture. The instructors
will be available for answering questions on the exercises and on the
lectures. They also return graded homework with the necessary
At the end of the course, each student is required to take an oral
exam. The exams will take place on June 11 and 12 at the UvA in room A1.12.
On the exam, students
will be questioned about the homework exercises. In order to be
admitted into the exam, a student has to pass at least 7 of the
homework sets. Questions may be asked about all the homework
exercises, not just those for which the student has received a pass.
Students are allowed to bring their graded copies of the homework exercises, as well as their notes, course notes and a copy of Hartshorne.
Please contact Lenny Taelman to make an appointment for the oral exam.
Monday June 11:
- 10.00-10.30: Niels uit de Bos
- 10.30-11.00: Bart Sevenster
- 11.00-11.30: Bart Litjens
- 11.30-12.00: Thomas Attema
- 12.00-12.30: Reinier Storm
- 12.30-13.00: Eric Faber
Tuesday June 12:
- 14.00-14.30: Joost van Vliet
- 14.30-15.00: Maxim Mornev
- 15.00-15.30: Erik Massop
- 15.30-16.00: Lei Yang
- 16.00-16.30: Erik Visse
- 10.30-11.00: Jasper Mulder
- 11.00-11.30: Herman Rohrbach
- 11.30-12.00: Jolanta Marzec
- 12.00-12.30: Dino Festi
- 12.30-13.00: Marta Lucchini
- 14.00-14.30: Ralph Klaasse
- 14.30-15.00: Floris van Doorn
- 15.00-15.30: Tristan Tilly
- 15.30-16.00: Wouter Zomervrucht
- 16.00-16.30: Philip van Reeuwijk