Examination Committee, Mathematics
The examination committee for the bachelors and masters programmes in mathematics in Leiden consists of the following persons:
Ronald van Luijk (chairman), firstname.lastname@example.org
Richard Gill (vice-chairman), email@example.com
Hermen Jan Hupkes,
Acting secretary to the committee is Martin Lübke, firstname.lastname@example.org
The committee also has an external member: Arnold Heemink, Delft.
Requests to the committee should be directed preferably by email to the
chairman with cc. to the vice-chairman and the secretary.
(Alternatively use our
"functional" email address: email@example.com.
An email to this address reaches all
members of the committee).
The committee carries out most of
its work by email but meets at least once a semester.
Criteria for evaluation of masters project and thesis
(Current version: June 2012).
Examiners at a masters examination will evaluate:
Aspects which will be considered when evaluating the execution of the research are:
- the execution of the reseach (project)
- the written thesis
- the presentation of the thesis (typically a one hour lecture to colleague students and interested staff members)
- the quality of the defence (including the short public
presentation of the thesis results, but focussing on the discussion
with the examination committee concerning the thesis)
- the quality of other research products (for instance, software or documentation produced during an internee-ship)
Aspects which will be considered when evaluating the thesis are:
- systematic approach
- ability to find necessary resources (literature, expert advice)
- ability to plan, and to adapt plans to situation
- autonomy of the student
- ability to collaborate with other researchers
The relative weight of the different criteria are: execution of
research 20%, thesis 50%, presentation 10%, defense 10%, other products
- originality, creativity, soundness
- quality of the writing (clarity, accessibility, grammar and typography)
- critical thinking
- does the thesis contain new results with expected scientific impact?
The examiners will fill in a corresponding form to be returned to the
examination committee. The form is available as pdf, word, html.
Criteria for evaluation of bachelor's project and thesis
See the e-Studiegids: bachelor seminarium analyse, stochastiek en besliskunde and bachelorseminarium algebra, meetkunde en getaltheorie.
Bachelors and masters theses